Post Doctorate RA - Visual Analytics Researcher
Two postdoctoral positions are available in the Visual Analytics Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. At PNNL we seek to find solutions to national security problems using machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing and open source data analytics. The appointment will be for one year, with the possibility of renewal.
We are looking for a motivated person with excellent skills in applied machine learning, deep learning, statistics and causal discovery with experience in open source data analytics (including but not limited to social media), social network analysis, computational social science, and natural language processing. The candidate should have a PhD (or expect to have one for the starting date) in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, or physics. Proven abilities to work independently and to quickly adapt to new scientific environments are essential for this position. Strong communication skills to successfully collaborate with the other members of the group, and a strong working knowledge of both oral and written English are required.
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past five years (60 months) or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university.
- Strong coding skills in Python.
- Record of research accomplishments and peer-reviewed publications.
- Degree in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, physics, machine learning or closely related field.
- Effective written and oral communication.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively on diverse teams.
- Proven ability to work independently and to quickly adapt to new scientific environments.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Familiarity with existing data science, deep learning and machine learning libraries (e.g., Pandas, TensorFlow, Theano, Pytorch, Keras, Scikitlearn, and CNTK).
- Experience applying machine and deep learning models to specific applications, such as text mining, causal inference, social network analysis, etc.
- Familiarity with Git, MySQL, MongoDB.
- Ability to contribute knowledge to the academic and research strength of PNNL
- Experience writing scientific publications.
- Publication record in scientific conferences such as WWW, AAAI, PlosOne, NIPS, ICML, ICLR, KDD, ICWSM, EMNLP, ACL, and CHI is preferred.
Preferred academic coursework the disciplines of computer science, machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, data science, or related disciplines. Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via https://jobs.pnnl.gov/help.stm
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a “country of risk” without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.