Math Instructor, Haskell Indian Nations University
This position is part of the Haskell Indian Nations University. As an Instructor (Mathematics) you will be responsible for providing college level instruction in the field of Mathematics to meet the education goals and objectives of the University.
POSITION IS ALSO BEING ADVERTISED UNDER MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER BIE-HU-11236020-21-HI. STATUS APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH MERIT PROMOTION AND COMPETITIVE PROCEDURES MUST SUBMIT A SEPARATE APPLICATION.
Open & closing dates: 09/21/2021 to 10/06/2021
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Salary: $65,307 to $84,904 per year
Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Appointment type: Seasonal
Work schedule: Full-time
Location: Lawrence, KS
As a Instructor (Mathematics)GS-1701-11, your typical work assignments may include the following:
- Demonstrates instructional skills that include the ability to explain difficult concepts and the ability to engage students of different abilities and backgrounds in learning course objectives
- Possesses interpersonal skills when interacting with students in class, in the laboratory, office hours, and elsewhere on campus, and with other faculty members, and with college and university administration
- Stays current with developments and trends in instructional and pedagogical fields
- Participates in student retention efforts.
- Develops, implements, and maintains records for instruction, including syllabi consistent with course objectives, student proficiency and attendance records, and other materials consistent with course objectives and University policies.
- Develops criteria for testing, assignments, and other instruments to evaluate student proficiency.
- Possesses technical writing skills for University-level documents such as reports prepared for the College or University.
Conditions of Employment
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YEAR TRIAL OR 1 YEAR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINEVALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIREDA STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT MAY BE AUTHORIZED
- RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
- RELOCATION INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
- SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR MALES BORN AFTER 12/31/1959
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
You must possess a Master's Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in the field of Mathematics or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications requirements below.
GS-11: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the federal service and a Master's degree or Ph. D. that included or was supplemented by major study in Mathematics or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position).
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: performing duties such as serving as an Instructor in a college or equivalent education institution developing, researching, preparing and administering course syllabi and materials, labs and activities; delivering lectures and presentations; and evaluating students' progress on standards based courses in Education; collaborated with faculty on maintaining accreditation requirements; developed culturally relevant material; served on or chaired numerous committees which dealt with issues such as curriculum (all subject areas), goals and objectives, standardized testing, staff selection, policy, and negotiations.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
EDUCATION: Transcripts MUST be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply and MUST include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking, degree and date awarded. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614901900 which includes:
1. Your resume (must be current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Must be employer references for the last years of employment.
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans claiming preference
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- College transcript(s): Copy of undergraduate education transcripts. Unofficial college transcripts are acceptable but official college transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (Required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Indian Children Protection Requirements: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- Cover Letter, optional
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Education and Training
- Interpersonal Skills
- Planning and Evaluating
- Teaching Others
If you meet the minimum qualifications requirements for this position, your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating selection procedures. Once the application process is complete, a review of your qualifications will be conducted to determine if you are qualified for this job. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The quality categories are: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within each of these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-preference eligible. Please note that if, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your category rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
- Best Qualified: Applicants that possess all of the job related competencies identified as important for successful job performance.
- Well Qualified: Applicants that possess a majority (i.e., more than half but not all) of the job related competencies needed for successful job performance.
- Qualified: Applicants meet the basic eligibility and minimum qualification requirements but do not meet the definition of Best Qualified or Well Qualified as described above.
Indian Preference candidates not within reach on a Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles may be appointed using the Excepted Service Schedule A hiring authority.