Math Instructor, Haskell Indian Nations University
This position is part of the Haskell Indian Nations University. As an Instructor (Mathematics) you will be responsible for providing college level instruction in the field of Mathematics to meet the education goals and objectives of University.
POSITION IS ALSO BEING ADVERTISED UNDER DELEGATED EXAMINING ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER DE-BIE-HU-11236021-21-HI. STATUS APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH MERIT PROMOTION AND COMPETITIVE PROCEDURES MUST SUBMIT A SEPARATE APPLICATION.
Open & closing dates: 09/21/2021 to 10/06/2021
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Salary: $65,307 to $84,904 per year
You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Appointment type: Seasonal
Work schedule: Full-time
Location: Lawrence, KS
As a Instructor (Mathematics) GS-1701-11, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Demonstrates instructional skills that include the ability to explain difficult concepts and the ability to engage students of different abilities and backgrounds in learning course objectives
- Possesses interpersonal skills when interacting with students in class, in the laboratory, office hours, and elsewhere on campus, and with other faculty members, and with college and university administration
- Stays current with developments and trends in instructional and pedagogical fields
- Participates in student retention efforts.
- Develops, implements, and maintains records for instruction, including syllabi consistent with course objectives, student proficiency and attendance records, and other materials consistent with course objectives and University policies.
- Develops criteria for testing, assignments, and other instruments to evaluate student proficiency.
- Possesses technical writing skills for University-level documents such as reports prepared for the College or University.
Conditions of Employment
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YR TRIAL OR 1 YR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINEVALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL BE PAID
- A STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT MAY BE AUTHORIZEDRECRUITMENT INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
- RELOCATION INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENTSELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR MALES BORN AFTER 12/31/1959
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
You must possess a Master's Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in the field of Mathematics or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications requirements below.
GS-11: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the federal service and a Master's degree or Ph. D. that included or was supplemented by major study in Mathematics or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position).
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: performing duties such as serving as an Instructor in a college or equivalent education institution developing, researching, preparing and administering course syllabi and materials, labs and activities; delivering lectures and presentations; and evaluating students' progress on standards based courses in Education; collaborated with faculty on maintaining accreditation requirements; developed culturally relevant material; served on or chaired numerous committees which dealt with issues such as curriculum (all subject areas), goals and objectives, standardized testing, staff selection, policy, and negotiations.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year (52 weeks) of service at the next lower grade level.
EDUCATION: Transcripts MUST be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply and MUST include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking, degree and date awarded. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614901500 which includes:
1. Your resume (must be current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Must be supervisory employer references for the last years of employment.
- Most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service. An SF-50 showing your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted and should include your position title, pay plan/series/grade, tenure and the type of appointment (i.e. Competitive or Excepted). Please be aware that award SF-50's do not provide sufficient information and will not be accepted for the purpose of verifying time-in-grade.
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- College transcript(s): Copy of undergraduate education transcripts. Unofficial college transcripts are acceptable but official college transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Indian Children Protection Requirements: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- Cover Letter, optional
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Education and Training
- Interpersonal Skills
- Planning and Evaluating
- Teaching Others
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies required by the position. Do not provide a separate written narrative statement to the specialized experience in your resume. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the knowledge, skills and abilities and competencies. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position.
If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy. If your resume includes copy & paste or narrative responses instead of job duties performed, it could possibly result in removal from consideration for this vacancy.