Senior Cost Estimate Engineer (Underfill Option)
Professional Engineer 1 – Senior Cost Estimate Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Statewide Project Delivery Branch
Project Development Section / Project Controls Office
Bring your civil engineering, transportation construction estimating and project management expertise to our team! As a senior cost estimate engineer, you will be responsible for providing guidance on best practices in developing and supporting project cost estimating from planning through project bid and construction while establishing the final engineer’s estimate for each project advertised, bid and awarded.
In this collaborative role, you will work with other agency engineers and technical professionals in the Engineering & Technical Services Branch, regions, other agencies, consultant agencies and private industry to ensure projects going to bid have estimates developed through best practices and representative of current market conditions. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a professional engineer 1 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an associate in engineering 2 ($4,495.00 - $6,909.00 monthly) to apply, as we may consider underfilling the position until the selected candidate acquires a professional engineer's license. Underfilling will not exceed six months.
A day in the life:
- Act as cost estimating discipline engineer for agency design teams and consultant engineers, providing guidance for valuing and pricing engineered solutions.
- Perform cost estimates and prepare final engineer’s estimates.
- Validate cost estimates and cost risk profiles in cost to complete reports.
- Perform project cost estimating quality assurance at major project milestones.
- Assist region cost estimators in making risk-based decisions relating to the most effective and appropriate use of bid items.
- Review region cost estimator final engineer’s estimates for accuracy, completeness and consistency.
- Develop standards of practice, guidance, training and support to cost estimators.
- Develop, update and maintain various templates and the cost estimating manual.
- Maintain and manage the agency bid item database, including reporting bidding statistics to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
- Assist with the routine management of AASHTOWare Preconstruction and Project Controls Office related data systems and products.
- Collaborate and/or participate on various agency, statewide, regional and national committees and teams related to construction estimates and scheduling.
- Work is performed in a design cubicle utilizing a variety of computer programs with occasional travel required – travel may be out of state, overnight and in all types of weather.
- Field trips may include rough terrain, working on or near heavy traffic, near or above large bodies of water and in other field environments.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.state.or.us.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record (including for the underfill option). We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we need for the associate in engineering 2 underfill option:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
To be eligible for the associate in engineering 2 underfill option, a candidate must have passed the professional engineer (PE) exam at time of application and the candidate must have their valid professional engineer's license (the ability to stamp) within six months of hire. As the PE exam is offered twice a year, in most cases, this will mean applicants must have already met all PE licensing requirements (e.g. completed required education and training, passed the FE and PE exams, etc.) and submitted their complete PE license application to the PE licensing body.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience in transportation project management, specification preparation, project inspection, highway/bridge construction project estimating, and estimate preparation.
- Experience, training and knowledge of civil engineering and transportation project development and construction practices.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand transportation project plans, specifications and estimates.
- Demonstrated ability to lead initiatives, projects and programs.
- Proficient in using computers, Microsoft Office software (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); familiarity with Bentley software systems and AASHTOWare systems preferred.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on July 22, 2021.
Click here to learn more and apply through our external application system which Handshake will redirect you to! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer