Fish Health Laboratory Scientist
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
ATAW99-2021-00958-Fish Health Laboratory Scientist-Laramie
LOCATION:LaramieOPENING DATE:06/09/21CLOSING DATE:07/08/21 11:59 PMDESCRIPTION AND FUNCTIONS:
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department are seeking a Fish Health Laboratory Scientist in Laramie, WY, to assist the fish health section with sample collection and in-laboratory sample analysis. This position is critical to meeting deadlines for fish health inspections, which are required for fish to be stocked out of facilities into Wyoming waters and move fish from one facility to another.
Human Resource Contact: Laura 307-777-4507 firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Conducts in-house analyses including, but not limited to, bacteriology, parasitology, virology, and molecular biology.
- Assists with prep work such as sterilization and packing of needed equipment, preparation of media, and maintenance of cell cultures.
- Assists the Fish Health Program Coordinator in performing necropsies on hatchery or wild fish to determine the presence or absence of pathogens or diseases.
- Assists with tooth aging; specific tasks will include, but not be limited to, inventory of teeth, data entry and database management, tooth extraction from jaws and sawing of the root tip for decal processing, work with different reagents and stains, embed, section, coverslip teeth sections mounted on slides and examine slides under the microscope to count teeth cementum annuli, and provide reports to biologists and hunters on the analysis conducted.
- Assists with Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) analyses using PCR, quantitative PCR, and sequencing analyses.
- Assists with laboratory maintenance include washing and sterilizing glassware and other lab equipment, defrosting and cleaning freezers and refrigerators, cleaning incubators, countertops, storage cabinets, supply and reagent storage areas, and laboratory fixtures.
Preference will be given to those with a Bachelor of Science in fisheries, microbiology/molecular biology, or any closely related field. Must have a valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of molecular biology.
- Knowledge of culture techniques.
- Competency in bacterial identification methods, fish parasite identification, and cell culture maintenance and virology techniques.
- Competency in oral and written communication.
- Working knowledge of the use of DNA technology in general and specifically for DNA extraction and fish pathogen identification.
- Competency in the use of chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Working knowledge of Wyoming Chapter X regulations, the Laboratory Fish Health Procedure Manual, and the American Fisheries society Bluebook.
None - See "Preferences"
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must be eligible for and receive an American Fisheries Society/Fish Health Section (AFS/FHS) Aquatic Animal Health Inspector certification within two years of employment.
- Must be able to safely drive state vehicles in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing to travel extensively during the spring months and as needed for inspections.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to
- This is anticipated to be a 12-month contract with renewal based on available funding.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Services Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATAW99
Job # 2021-00958
ATAW99-2021-00958-FISH HEALTH LABORATORY SCIENTIST-LARAMIE
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.