STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
SALARY: $15.01 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 04/05/21
CLOSING DATE: 04/19/21 11:59 PM
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a Wildlife Technician in Lander, WY. This position assists department personnel in wildlife depredation control, wildlife damage claim investigation, wildlife conflict resolution, disease sampling, collection of biological data, and public relations in accordance with Department policy. This position will also assist office managers when necessary and will require the sale of licenses and answer questions from the public in person and on the phone.
Human Resource Contact: Laura Curtis 307-777-4507
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function performed at the job level.
- Assists game wardens limit depredation by big game, game birds, and trophy game animals to crops and livestock.
- Assist regional personnel with wildlife conflict situations in urban and rural settings in an appropriate manner.
- Work with personnel to live trap and relocate black bears, mountain lions, and other wildlife.
- Communicate with homeowners and provide information regarding wildlife conflict situations
- Assist with the collection of biological data and observations during wildlife surveys.
- Collect disease samples from harvested wildlife using a scalpel, forceps, blood tubes, and record data for disease surveillance programs.
- Work with the Wind River Reservation, USFWS, and regional personnel on disease sampling efforts for wildlife harvested within the Wind River Reservation's exterior boundaries.
- Collect and record other harvest information (i.e., species, age, and sex of harvested animals).
- Other wildlife management or data collection duties as assigned.
- Assist office managers when necessary and will require the sale of licenses and answer questions from the public in person and on the phone.
- Perform work day or night with an irregular work schedule.
Preference will be given to those with a four-year college degree in wildlife management, range management, or other natural resource fields. Other related training and experience will be evaluated.
**Must have a valid driver's license.
- Skill in the safe use of handguns, shotguns, rifles, and pyrotechnical devices.
- Skill in interpersonal communication with employees, landowners, and the general public.
- Ability to record and manage collected data, skill in map-reading.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to be self-directed.
- Ability to operate four-wheel-drive truck/trailer, ATV, GPS unit, binoculars/spotting scope.
- Ability to use scalpels and forceps.
- General knowledge of wildlife, knowledge of deer/elk anatomy.
- Knowledge of data recording.
- Skill with hand and power tools, including a chainsaw, push mower, and string trimmer.
None - See "Preferences"
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Ability to walk in rough, uneven terrain with unstable footing.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to appointment.
- The tentative starting date is July 1, 2021. This position is a 12-month at-will contract.
- Housing is not provided.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATAW99
Job # 2021-00555
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.