Necropsy and Histology Technician
The DSRD Necropsy and Histology Technician is responsible for performing accurate, high quality necropsy/histology in all aspects of rodent and non-rodent study work with moderate guidance/supervision.
He/she understands, complies with and applies Necropsy/Histology goals, SOP’s and Guidelines including all regulatory, EHS, and IACUC requirements. He/she possesses basic knowledge in veterinary anatomy and histology that he/she uses to support daily tasks.
With guidance from colleagues and under supervision, he/she participates in projects to support the work group and team goals (eg data and/or specimen quality control, user guides, standard operating procedures, lesson plans).
- In a structured environment, executes necropsy/histology techniques directed by study protocols (regulatory, exploratory, and investigative).
- Performs all assigned routine necropsy and histology tasks in a timely manner and in agreement with the SOP and guidelines in place, from necropsy room preparation to archival of specimens.
- Communicates with the pathologist and the pathology laboratory manager to ensure proper collection, handling and submission of specimens as well as proper handling of all supportive documentation, including chain of custody forms for outsourced work.
- Ensures proper use and preventative maintenance of equipment and laboratory space.
- Ensures full traceability of his/her work and of the specimens.
- Associate's Degree or HS Diploma/GED with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of relevant disciplines (i.e. histology, basic anatomy or similar)
- Awareness of Good laboratory practice (GLP).
- Performs effectively as a team member; accurately records data; effectively follows verbal and written instructions; maintains a positive work atmosphere; communicates effectively; and interacts in a professional manner with management, colleagues, and customer and partner groups.
- Strong technical skills, with a willingness to continuously learn and grow in their role.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative, team oriented environment and to meet study timelines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- BS in Biological Sciences
- Demonstrated experience in necropsy and/or histology study conduct experience and applying necropsy/histology technical skills in a variety of species for toxicity studies.
- HT/HTL (ASCP) certification
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) proficiency.
- Demonstrates consistent knowledge of regulatory requirements such as GLP and animal welfare.
- Proficiency in laboratory equipment and data collection tools.
- Ability to recognize, document and resolve data errors.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
- The position requires performing ex vivo work and therefore the colleagues must be able to wear appropriate PPE.
- They must be able to physically perform the technical procedures that may require lifting, sitting, standing, walking, and bending.
Non-Standard Work Schedule, Travel or Environmental Requirements
- Weekend/holiday work will be required.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.