Spring 2021 38 North Internship
The 38 North Program at Henry L. Stimson Center seeks a remote intern for the spring semester, who will focus on research regarding North Korea's political, economic, and social development, WMD issues, US-DPRK relations, and more. A project under the East Asia program, 38 North, provides informed technical and policy analysis on North Korea by closely monitoring the DPRK through satellite imagery and publishing expert analysis on current policy issues.
Responsibilities for the 38 North internships include:
- Provide research assistance for program staff on special projects and initiatives;
- Conduct regular issue and media tracking of developments regarding North Korea, South Korea, and US policy toward both Koreas;
- Attend and report on seminars and conferences;
- Write issue memos and briefings on key issues and internal meetings; and
- Assist in the coordination of program events.
Generally, a strong candidate for this position will have:
- A strong interest in Korea policy or an academic background in international relations, political science, East Asian studies;
- Attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work in both research and administrative tasks;
- Excellent analytical, research, and writing skills;
- A record of academic excellence; and
- Korean language skills a plus.
Applicants must be able to commit to a minimum of 30 hours per week. Preference may be given to those available 30+ hours per week for a minimum of 15 weeks.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample 2-3 pages as a PDF. Your application will NOT be considered without a resume, cover letter, and writing sample. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.