RPS Operations Engineer (Electrical Engineer) at Kennedy Space Center
We are launching people to the Moon and Mars. If you want to be part of this amazing mission and enjoy working in a great team environment, we would love to have you as part of our team that is making history, today. It takes big ideas and determination to take NASA's vision and make it reality. That's what we do every day.
Record & Playback Subsystem (RPS) Ops Engineers support Command, Control,& Communication by providing data recording, retrieval, playback, processing, displays, and analysis of ground & flight telemetry for the Space Launch System. This candidate will be tasked to configure DEWESoft application for acquisition, decommutation, EU conversion, distribution, and display of various telemetry types. The candidate will also frequently collaborate with NASA Counterpart for validation planning, document reviews, technical system operations discussions, document generation and Problem Report reviews as needed. Finally, the RPS engineer will develop test cases to validate/revalidate the RPS systems. We are looking for a team member who will accurately communicate ideas in verbally and in writing, and who will foster a positive work atmosphere with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
- Bachelors Degree required, Electrical Engineering or related preferred
- Prefer selected candidate to graduate by May 2020
- Willingness to learn Spacecraft Telemetry handling techniques
- In depth knowledge of the hexadecimal, octal, and binary numbering systems
- Basic knowledge of Ethernet networks and protocols
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Data Exchange Message (DEM) packet communication, Common Industrial Protocol (CIP) packet commanding and/or telemetry
- Knowledge all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle
- Experience with C++ & C#
- Experience with Visual Studio
- The ability to develop software documentation
- The ability to do man-hour estimates
- Experience with GIT
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all “drug free workplace” requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.