Part-Time Circulation Clerk
Circulation Clerks are employed 20 – 30 hours per week, primarily afternoon and weekends, on a year-round basis. Persons employed as Circulation Clerks must be available to work the schedule of hours required by the Natchitoches Parish Library’s service needs. The Circulation Clerk shelves library materials and maintain the library shelving areas so patrons and staff can locate material; greets and directs library patrons, and charges and discharges library materials in accordance with established library policies and procedures.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
· Sorts and shelves library materials; shelf reads daily to maintain shelf order.
· Checks out, discharges, and renews all library materials.
· Checks and empties all book drops.
· Assists in the opening and closing of the library.
· Registers patrons for library cards, issues and renews cards.
· Creates and updates patron records regarding Internet, expiration dates, fines, etc.
· Calculate and collect funds due from the public.
· Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the scope of knowledge and refer to employee of higher classification as appropriate.
· Performs other duties as requested.
Additional Job Duties
May perform portions of the work of higher classified positions as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Ability to count money and make change.
· Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to prioritize work.
· Attention to detail and accuracy.
· Use of basic office equipment including computer, keyboard, copier, fax machine, and calculator.
· Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making techniques.
· Ability to follow through on numerous details and work well under pressure.
· Ability to provide courteous public service and to present clear explanations of established policies and procedures.
· Ability to interact effectively with the library’s automated system.
· Demonstrated knowledge of proper telephone etiquette; ability to use public address and phone systems; ability to take messages and identify appropriate destinations.
· Ability to work in a team setting. Willingness to assist and support coworkers, contribute ideas, maintain flexibility, and be able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
· Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
· Ability to communicate effectively, patiently and courteously with other employees, patrons and other community members.
· Ability to handle multiple activities or interruptions at once and to work positively and effectively within a team model.
Physical and Mental Requirements
· Strength, for example, to push loaded book cart weighing approximately 100 pounds on level floor and up ramp, to lift or maneuver onto cart loads up to 50 pounds and to carry cartons of books up and down stairs.
· Ability to sit and use computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal, for extended periods of time.
· Requires sitting, standing, stooping, bending, and lifting/moving books and carts.
· Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
· Must be able to hear, comprehend and respond to library patrons both in person and in telephone conversations.
· Must have visual ability to see computer screens.
· Requires good hand dexterity for computer.
· Requires mental alertness, focus, and attention to details.
· Requires ability to operate basic business machinery (computer, printer, copier, telephone, FAX machine, paper cutter, laminating machine, and die cut machine).
Work is performed primarily in an indoor office setting, in frequently dusty atmosphere with potential exposure to airborne pathogens; occasional work outdoors in the elements.
Move intermittently during working hours.
Is subject to frequent interruptions.
Must be able to work independently as well as with a team.
Must be flexible, creative, patient, and have a sense of humor.
Must be able to work evenings and weekends on a consistent basis.
Must be able to work at any location in the Natchitoches Parish Library System.
Education, Experience, and Training
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Demonstrated customer service experience.
As an absolute condition of employment, all applicants shall agree to a clerical examination and panel interview. If selected for employment, all information listed on the application and/or resume is subject to verification. A commercial driver’s license where applicable, shall be obtained. References shall be confirmed as part of the interview process.
To ensure that individuals who join the Library are well qualified and to ensure that the Library maintains a safe and productive work environment, it is our policy to conduct pre-employment background checks on all applicants who accept an offer of employment. Background checks may include verification of any information on the applicant’s résumé’ or application form.
All offers of employment are conditioned on receipt of a background check report that is acceptable to the Library Board of Control. All background checks are conducted in conformity with the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and state and federal privacy and anti-discrimination laws. Reports are kept confidential and are only viewed by individuals involved in the hiring process.
If information obtained in a background check would lead the Library to deny employment, a copy of the report shall be provided to the applicant, and the applicant shall have the opportunity to dispute the report’s accuracy. Background checks may include a criminal record check, although a criminal conviction does not automatically bar an applicant from employment.
Additional checks such as a physical examination, agility test, drug test, driving record or credit report may be made on applicants for particular job categories if appropriate and job related.
Employees are required upon hire to sign a drug-free workplace agreement and an agreement not to use tobacco products of any kind while on the job. Individuals must be physically capable of operating library vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for library business will be prohibited if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
DISCLAIMERS: The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or provide relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.