Income Tax Auditor
Who We Are
The South Carolina Department of Revenue (SCDOR) helps move South Carolina forward by collecting 95% of the state's General Fund. Committed to making compliance easy for taxpayers, and valuing excellence, collaboration, and professionalism, we work to be an innovative and trustworthy partner for taxpayers, businesses, and tax professionals. With excellent benefits and opportunities for training and advancement, we are dedicated to developing, retaining, and valuing a competent, productive, and diverse workforce.
To conduct field audits of books, records, and tax returns of Income Tax in South Carolina. This position is part of our Field Operations Division, who encourage compliance by educating taxpayers and completing fair and objective audits. Your work will help ensure tax equity for all South Carolina taxpayers.
- Review and conduct audits on State and Federal filing requirements, dependency and filing status tests, differences in Federal and State returns, verification of W-2 information.
- Research and provide audit documentation to include taxpayer friendly language and all points of issue within the audit.
- Prepare and present audit findings clearly to the taxpayers and accurately prepare documents for possible appeals and criminal referrals.
- Provides taxpayer assistance to include answering taxpayer questions by phone, fax, mail, or face-to-face in the office and in the field by performing onsite visits to businesses assigned by the supervisor.
- Register taxpayers and give appropriate forms.
- Participate in local educational seminars or other speaking engagements on an occasional basis.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, with a minimum of 12 semester hours in accounting (up to three semester hours may be in Business Law, Principles of Finance, or Federal Income Tax.)
- College transcript required for consideration. Transcripts may be attached to the application, faxed to 803-896-0023, or emailed to Employment.SCDOR@dor.sc.gov.
- Academic degrees must be from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Valid Driver's License. Field work required. May require some overnight travel.
- Considerable knowledge of accounting principles, methods, procedures, and their application to the South Carolina Tax Act and Regulations.
- 18 semester hours in accounting
- Previous tax experience
Background Check: SCDOR employees are required to comply with all SCDOR tax requirements and are subject to a National Criminal Background Check to include fingerprinting.
EEO: It is the policy of the SCDOR to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to, lactation.