Sales Tax Auditor
Who We Are
The South Carolina Department of Revenue (SCDOR) helps move South Carolina forward by collecting 95% of the state's General Fund. Committed to making compliance easy for taxpayers, and valuing excellence, collaboration, and professionalism, we work to be an innovative and trustworthy partner for taxpayers, businesses, and tax professionals. With excellent benefits and opportunities for training and advancement, we are dedicated to developing, retaining, and valuing a competent, productive, and diverse workforce.
Our Sales Tax Auditors are responsible for conducting field audits of books, records, and tax returns of Sales Tax in South Carolina. This position is part of our Field Operations Division, who encourages compliance by educating taxpayers and completing fair and objective audits. Their work helps ensure tax equity for all South Carolina taxpayers.
- Review and conduct sales and use tax audits on non-retail service purchasers, other service providers, and end-users
- Audit local option taxes, while educating the taxpayer on tax laws
- Research and provide audit documentation to include taxpayer friendly language
- Document all points of issue within the audit
- Prepare and present audit findings clearly to the taxpayer, his representative, and any interested SCDOR personnel
- Accurately prepare documents for possible appeals and criminal investigation referrals
- Provide taxpayer assistance to include answering taxpayer questions by phone, fax, mail, or face-to-face in the office and in the field by performing on-site visits to businesses assigned by the supervisor
- Register taxpayers and give appropriate forms
- Participate in local educational seminars or other speaking engagements on an occasional basis
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration with a minimum of 12 semester hours in accounting.
- Up to three of these 12 semester hours may be in business law, principles of finance, or federal income tax. No other substitutions permitted.
- College transcript required for consideration. Transcripts may be attached to the application, faxed to 803-896-0023, or emailed to Employment.SCDOR@dor.sc.gov.
- Academic degrees must be from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Due to the field work involved with this position, candidate must have a valid Driver's License and reliable transportation; mileage reimbursement provided.
- Considerable knowledge of accounting principles, methods, procedures, and their application to the South Carolina Tax Act and Regulations.
- 18 semester hours in accounting.
- Previous tax experience.
- Background Check: SCDOR employees are required to comply with all SCDOR tax requirements and are subject to a National Criminal Background Check to include fingerprinting.
- EEO: It is the policy of the SCDOR to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to, lactation.