Visitor Services Assistant I - Historic Fort Snelling
JOB TITLE: #1344 Visitor Services Assistant I – Historic Fort Snelling
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Historic Fort Snelling, 200 Tower Ave, St Paul, MN 55111
SALARY: $14.42 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (520 annual hours) position.
Hours average up to 24 weekly hours from March to October.
Weekly hours vary according to seasonal site needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in retirement program with employer contribution.
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Visitor Services Manager II
POSTING DATE: January 31, 2020
DEADLINE DATE: February 14, 2020
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
ORIENTATION: Friday, March 13, 2020 (evening)
DESCRIPTION: The Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) seeks applicants to sell admission tickets to Historic Fort Snelling guests, serve visitors in the museum store, sell memberships for the Minnesota Historical Society, greet and orient school groups, and provide customer service to a wide array of visitors.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) perform museum store sales, admissions sales, and clerical services; 2) welcome and converse with all visitors and provide orientations for school groups; 3) provide maintenance and security in work areas as required; 4) study site related historical materials to be aware of the history of the site and to be knowledgeable about the interpretative program.
● Retail sales and/or admissions experience.
● Experience operating retail and/or admissions software.
● Basic accounting and math skills.
● Strong oral communication skills, ability to listen and be responsive to questions and comments.
● Demonstrated reliability and ability to provide consistent, quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively in a team environment
● Must be able and willing to work rotating schedules of varying hours (0 – 24 per week) from March to October including weekends and holidays.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Experience working with Shopify and/or Tessitura software.
● Experience working in historic sites or museums.
● Flexible work schedule.
● Experience with Microsoft Office or Google Docs.
● Knowledge of retail display and marketing techniques.
● Knowledge of Minnesota history, military and/or Historic Fort Snelling.
● Retail sales and admissions experience in a museum/historic site.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer. Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call MNHS Job Line at 651-259-3181.