1345 Visitor Services Assistant - Historic Fort Snelling
JOB TITLE: #1345 Visitor Services Assistant II – Historic Fort Snelling
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Historic Fort Snelling, 200 Tower Ave, St Paul, MN 55111
SALARY: $15.26 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (520 annual hours) position.
Weekly hours vary according to seasonal site needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in retirement program with employer contribution.
CLASSIFICATION: 58L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Visitor Services Manager II
POSTING DATE: January 31, 2020
DEADLINE DATE: February 14, 2020
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
ORIENTATION: Friday, March 13, 2020 (evening)
DESCRIPTION: The Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) seeks applicants to sell admission tickets to Historic Fort Snelling guests, serve visitors in the museum store, sell memberships to the Minnesota Historical Society, greet and orient school groups, provide customer service to a wide array of visitors, and provide work direction to the admission and sales areas and staff in the absence of the Visitor Services Manager II.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) assist Visitor Services Manager II with all operations of the admission and sales areas; 2) perform museum store sales, admissions sales, and clerical services; 3) welcome and converse with all visitors and provide orientations for school groups; 4) study site related historical materials to be aware of the history of the site and to be knowledgeable about the interpretative program; and 5) provide maintenance and security in the work areas as required.
● Satisfactory performance as a Visitor Services Assistant I or a related retail sales and/or admissions experience.
● Ability to complete record keeping and a variety of reports, including accounting and math skills.
● Familiarity with technology, particularly admissions or retail software.
● Strong oral communication skills, ability to listen and be responsive to questions and comments.
● Demonstrated reliability and ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively in a team environment
● Ability to work a varied and flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Previous experience mentoring, coaching, training and providing work direction for staff or volunteers.
● Experience with Shopify and/or Tessitura software.
● Knowledge of retail display and marketing techniques.
● Knowledge of Minnesota History and/or Historic Fort Snelling programs and services.
● Ability to troubleshoot software, hardware and point-of-sale issues.
● Retail sales and admissions experience in a museum/historic site.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer. Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call MNHS Job Line at 651-259-3181.