Elementary/Middle School General Music/Band Teacher (1.0 FTE)
Middle/Elementary Teacher- General Music (0.5 FTE)/Band (0.5 FTE)
Location to be Determined
KEA Salary Schedule and Grade
Scope of Responsibilities
To create a flexible elementary or secondary music program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth to establish effective rapport with students motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for elementary music education, in accordance with each student's ability and establish positive relationships with parents and with other staff members.
1. Teach district-approved curriculum.
2. Plan and instruct assigned classes in designated locations and scheduled times.
3. Instruct students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law, administrative regulations, and district procedures.
4. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
5. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media, consistent with the physical limitations of the provided location and the needs and capabilities of individuals and groups involved.
6. Communicate regularly with parents outside normal classroom schedule through newsletters, notes, phone calls, conferences, etc.
7. Establish and maintain reasonable behavior standards and procedures that align with school-wide plans to create an effective learning atmosphere.
8. Evaluate students' academic and social growth, maintains accurate records, and prepares progress reports.
9. Identify students' needs, makes appropriate referrals, and develops strategies for individual education plans.
10.Plan and coordinate the work of paraprofessional, parents, and volunteers in the classroom and on field trips.
11.Create an environment for learning through functional and attractive displays and exhibits of student’s work.
Special Considerations for Art, Music and Drama: At each level (elementary, middle, and high school) special considerations exist for those teaching arts.
Student work will be showcased with public and school “demonstrations”—displays for art and performances for music and drama. At all levels, teachers are expected to work cooperatively with other staff to integrate the arts into other subject areas.
For elementary music, teachers will be expected to organize 1-2 public performances per year. They may be asked to provide music for special school events such as open houses and graduation. Teachers will also be expected to have their students participate in the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra Youth Concerts. Teachers may be asked to work cooperatively with others on musical productions. They will be responsible for all instrument inventory as well as managing music libraries. Teachers will be expected to arrange for equipment set up for performances and work with their administrators on publicizing performances.
1. Valid Michigan teaching certificate and a Music Education (JX or JQ) endorsement.
2. BS or BA degree with Music major.
3. Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication.
1. Experience working in an urban setting.
2. Endorsed in one additional core subject area.
3. Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, peers and parents.
Please apply online at www.kalamazoopublicschools.com.
Kalamazoo Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer