Transportation Engineer 3
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced transportation engineer who has strong leadership skills and an exceptional aptitude for managing projects. We are seeking a Transportation Engineer 3 who will be responsible managing the scope, schedule, and budget of the design/construction of highway projects. In this role, you will also mentor, train, and supervise engineering and technical employees in the delivery of design and construction projects. Our ideal candidate will have a clear understanding of the importance of safety with people, vehicles, and equipment. This position will be expected to actively participate in implementing the Eastern Region Organizational Core Values. If you are passionate about leading teams, project delivery, and helping individuals develop and grow, we have an excellent opportunity for you and encourage you to apply!
Please note, this recruitment may be used to fill similar, additional Transportation Engineer 3 positions in Spokane.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Schedule and direct all contract inspection and survey activities on multiple and/or major construction projects.
- Work with contractors on workforce scheduling, plans and specification interpretation, paperwork and plans submittals, and issue resolution.
- Track quantities, costs, and workforce to stay within budget.
- Direct, schedule, and participate in office design, design documentation, plan, specification, and estimate (PS&E) preparation for contracts; including right of way plans and access control and design, and.
- Provide training, coaching, and performance evaluations for staff.
- Support office process improvement, personnel development, and other quality efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- One year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent.
- Experience mentoring, coaching, supervising staff, and able to effectively implement development strategies.
- Proven experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously under challenging deadlines.
- Ability to review engineering plans and specifications for compliance with established standards.
- Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds of various materials.
- Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions, on steep and uneven terrain.
- Valid driver's license.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- Certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT).
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. To be considered for this position, please include the following to your online application:
- Attach a resume outlining your experience to date.
- Attach a cover letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role.
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies. This can be included within the application in the reference section.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-ER-60903.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.