Information Security College Intern
Who are we?
The Zappos Information Security team is responsible for keeping our customer, employee, and business data safe. The team accomplishes this goal through the use of a wide range of tools and techniques to monitor the network, probe for vulnerabilities, and research new threats. Additionally, the team works to ensure that our practices comply with accepted industry standards.
What will you do?
As the Information Security Intern, you will have the opportunity to learn security practices both offensive and defensive in nature, and apply these practices to help improve the security posture of the company. You will receive hands-on experience assessing and improving web application security, network security, and security policies.
- Assist with penetration testing/ethical hacking of the company’s websites and internal systems by discovering and exploiting vulnerabilities.
- Identify remediation techniques and mitigation strategies for security issues.
- Investigate suspicious network activity through the use of intrusion detection systems, malware detection appliances, log aggregation platforms, and more.
- Evaluate the compliance of systems and networks with regards to information security standards using commercial software and open source tools.
- Develop custom software to improve the efficacy and efficiency of any of the above tasks.
- Update and document architecture designs to reflect current or future state
Are you a match?
- Computer Science (or related) major, or a strong knowledge of application & network security.
- Strong passion for the security field.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and ability to multitask.
- Knowledge of technical components including directories (LDAP/Active Directory), access and authorization technologies, and encryption solutions helpful.
- Understanding of operating systems helpful.
- Understanding of internetworking protocols, platforms, and devices such as IP, firewalls, servers, routers and switches helpful.
- Knowledge of web architectures and understanding of web programming languages helpful.
- Normal working business hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Must be willing to relocate to Las Vegas, NV for the summer of 2020 (did we mention we'll help with that?!).
Team fun fact:
Our team periodically spends time together outside of work. Some of our past favorite team outings include:
- Renting jet-skis and pontoon boats on Lake Mead
- Partaking in adult libations
- Eating and seeing shows on the Strip