Transportation Engineer 2
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Southwest Region has an exciting opportunity for a talented and innovative engineer to join their dynamic team in Chehalis, WA. We are looking for an entry-level or mid-level engineer who wants to apply standard engineering procedures and techniques in support of WSDOT projects in the office, laboratory, and field. As a Transportation Engineer, you will have a high impact on WSDOT's mission to provide and support safe, reliable, and cost effective transportation options. Our top candidate will be detail-oriented, possess outstanding technical skills, and have the ability to work independently, as well as lead and motivate others.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- May serve as a lead designer in charge of a moderately sized project or a significant portion of a larger project.
- Prepare and/or reviews design reports, hydraulics reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, right of way plans, contract plans, specifications, estimates and special provisions.
- Conduct region-level review of contract plans, specifications and estimates.
- Direct of a crew of CADD operators or performs automated plans drafting involving interchanges, new alignments, and nonstandard applications.
- Coordinate and review projects with cities, counties, and other agencies.
- Utilize computers and design software for horizontal and vertical alignment, earthwork, drainage analysis, quantities, cost estimates, technical written text and computer assisted design/drafting.
- May serve as a lead inspector in charge of specialized features such as major structures, paving operations, illumination systems, electrical systems, signal systems or enclosed drainage systems.
- May perform or direct material tests for acceptance in the field or lab trailer.
- Inspects the contractors work for conformance to plans, specifications and special provisions.
- Monitor and document quantity and quality of materials.
- Complete accurate daily project documentation to include IDR's, Field Notes, Force Account Sheets, TCS Reports, and Weekly Working Days statements.
- Assist Office Engineering Staff with a variety of skilled engineering tasks.
- As a member of the Survey Crew, perform a variety of skilled survey tasks.
- Participate in the implementation and development of the pre-activity safety plans.
- Perform other work as required.
Please note this is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Engineer field, and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2, depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Engineer 1: $53,904 - $72,432
Transportation Engineer 2: $59,436 - $79,944
Required qualifications at the Transportation Engineer 1 level:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering or closely-related field from an accredited university.
- An Engineer-In-Training Certification (EIT) or must obtain within the duration of the in-training program.
Required qualifications at the Transportation Engineer 2 level require one of the following:
- Minimum one year experience as a Transportation Engineer 1 AND an Engineer-In-Training Certification (EIT).
- A Master's of Science degree with major study in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or closely-related field from an accredited university AND an Engineer-In-Training Certification (EIT).
Requirements at both levels also include:
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient use of computer, including knowledge of engineering software and applications.
- The ability to work varied work shifts including nights, weekends and/or out of town.
- The ability to traverse uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- The ability to transport, manipulate, and move into position materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Valid unrestricted driver's license.
- A Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction (WAQTC) certification or the ability to achieve within 12 months of hire.
Preferred qualifications include:
- A solid understanding and working knowledge of transportation engineering principles.
- Demonstrated skills to make correct independent decisions in complex or emergency situations.
- Demonstrated increased proficiency in task prioritization and duties.
- Demonstrated competency in all aspects of project delivery; scoping, design, construction inspection, and construction administration.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. To be considered for this position, please include the following to your online application:
- Attach a resume outlining your experience to date.
- Attach a cover letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role.
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies. This can be included within the application in the reference section.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-SWR-41115.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.