Education Specialist, School Boards
This position is part of the ADD Tribally Controlled Schools, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Education Specialist (School Boards) you will be responsible for providing professional consultant services to Education Offices, Schools and School Boards who have authority and responsibility for implementing and enforcing educational laws of the tribe with Self Determination efforts towards assuming direction and control of Indian Education with a focus on improved student academic achievement.
Open & closing dates: 11/18/2019 to 12/02/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 12 - 13
Salary: $74,596 to $115,313 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Kyle, SD
As an Education Specialist (School Boards) GS-1701-12/13, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Serve as the expert Consultant and provide on-going trainings to school board members on P.L. 100-297 Granting Requirements and Education Laws that affect the operation of the schools and education training courses to increase their understanding in overseeing Tribal Controlled School Grants on behalf of the Tribe.
- Serve as the technical expert in School Operations management specific to P.L. 100-297 - Tribally Controlled Schools Act of 1988 and provides counsel and guidance for adherence to regulations.
- Ensure that administrators and local governing boards/local school boards comply with Tribal, State and Federal education laws that determine adequate yearly progress in meeting applicable, measurable academic achievement standards.
- Recommend and coordinate with in-house information Technology services to ensure the availability of a computerized management information system.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YR TRIAL OR 1 YR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- INCUMBENT WILL BE REQUIRED TO FILE AN OGE FORM 450
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
- Degree: that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position. OR
- Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in A above.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications requirements below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
FOR THE GS-12 GRADE LEVEL: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service, providing on-going trainings on grant requirements and education laws that affect the operation of schools; providing technical assistance and ensures that policies, and procedures and processes are established; providing periodic reviews, evaluations, and revisions to meet changing needs and circumstances; analyzing substantive and administrative progress reports for use in program planning, budget justification, and evaluation documents; monitoring projects approved for funding and providing technical assistance.
FOR THE GS-13 GRADE LEVEL: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service, interpreting, analyzing and participating in the development of guidelines, policies and procedures; serving as an expert in providing training to school board members on grant requirements and education laws, improving student academic achievement and working with schools to resolve issues; evaluating and analyzing complex problems, issues, concerns, and recommend appropriate alternative solutions; serving as a consultant in the accreditation process providing direction on governance and leadership, teaching and assessing for learning and the use of continuous improvement.
NOTE: If the position is filled at a lower grade level, subsequent promotion to the next grade level will be processed without further competition
under the Merit Promotion Program at such time as performance and qualification requirements are met and classification review discloses the
duties being performed properly warrant classification to the next higher grade level.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year (52 weeks) of service at the next lower grade level.
EDUCATION: Transcripts MUST be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply and MUST include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking, degree and date awarded. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume (must be current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Must be 3 professional references
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held (if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service)
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- OF-306 (Declaration of Federal Employment) sign and dated: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OF0306.pdf
- Applicant Screening Questionnaire: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- College transcript(s): Copy of undergraduate education transcripts. Unofficial college transcripts are acceptable but official college transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter, optional
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
FINANCIAL STATEMENT REQUIREMENTS (Required only at time of appointment): The candidate selected for this position must meet conflict of interest requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Standard Form 450, Executive Branch Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).
How You Will Be Evaluated:
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Education and Training
- Planning and Evaluating
- Policies and Procedures
- Technical Competence