Plans/Design Manager – Transportation Engineer 4
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking an experienced engineer to serve as the Plans/Design Manager in Spokane, WA. The incumbent of this position will lead the review process to ensure all design, design documentation, and PS&E's are complete, accurate, and in conformance with WSDOT policies. In addition, the position will coordinate project advertisement and bid opening with WSDOT HQ, and open, award, and execute paperwork for small works and demolition projects in the Region.
The position will also serve as the Eastern Region Project Management Reporting System (PMRS) Administrator; manage PMRS permissions, training, and base schedules. Advise management on PMRS issues.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Lead the Design/Plans Section of the Eastern Region Development Branch.
- Complete project plan reviews and advertisement/award processes in accordance with WSDOT policies.
- Facilitate weekly PS&E status meetings communicating issues that need to be resolved.
- Ensure the accuracy of final estimates for funding requests and compiles final PS&E packages for HQ advertisement.
- Coordinate and prepare addenda for projects during advertisement.
- Coordinate Region advertisement and award of emergency and small works projects.
- Lead research and development of Region special provisions.
- Supervise/review work of staff in the areas of PS&E and Design review, design documentation, and design consultation. Design work includes review of Eastern Region, local agency, and developer projects.
- Recommends approval of plans and design documentation to the appropriate approving authority.
- Serve as the ADA liaison for Region; review Maximum Extent Feasible submittals, handle technical and process questions with HQ.
- Serve as the Eastern Region Project Management & Reporting Systems (PMRS) Tools Administrator and work with HQ and Region personnel on PMRS tools and processes including development, implementation, and support of Primavera Schedule & Primavera Contract Manager.
Required qualifications include:
- One year as a Transportation Engineer 3 or equivalent transportation engineer experience.
- A valid driver's license.
- Produce and review a variety of engineering calculations, plans, and reports.
- Direct others in the production and review of a variety of engineering plans and reports.
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external customers verbally and in writing.
- Supervise employees in accordance with WSDOT policies.
- Lead, support, train, and prepare a diversified staff in a variety of tasks.
- Investigate and solve technical engineering problems.
- Understand, interpret, and apply information contained in manuals, orders, and other supporting documents.
- Effectively operate a computer and various software, including project schedules in accordance with WSDOT policies.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Three years varied experience as a Transportation Engineer 3 or equivalent in PS&E Development, construction inspection/management, and design documentation.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to:
- Answer the supplemental questions completely.
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
- Attach a minimum of three (3) professional references.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-ER-60934.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.