Located just 30 miles North of Chicago, Stepan is a major manufacturer of basic and intermediate chemicals. Stepan was founded over 80 years ago and has 19 global manufacturing locations with a support network of over 2,000 employees.
We have an excellent opportunity for a dynamic, self-starting, and talented chemist in our Global Process Development Department. The Process Chemist is responsible for process development for surfactants and specialty chemicals. This role works in close collaboration with manufacturing, business, and platform teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced chemist with a solid background in chemistry, wet analytical procedures, statistical analysis of process and experimental data, has a desire to take on challenges, and can operate both independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Troubleshoots existing manufacturing processes, driving efficiency.
- Provides scale-up expertise in the commercialization of new products, as well as new molecule development.
- Collaborates and effectively communicates technical information within R&D and with cross-platform business, product development, and manufacturing teams.
- Safely operates laboratory processes such as distillations and pressure reactions and safely handles chemicals.
- Performs and/or interprets results from wet and instrumental analytical methods (titrations, NMR, IR, GPC etc.).
- Performs statistical data analysis (MiniTab or equivalent; Green Belt a plus).
- Demonstrates exceptional organizational and project management skills; ensures timely delivery of objectives.
- Independently perform projects and assignments, draws conclusions based on experimental work.
- Contributes ideas and suggestions for improving department infrastructure and work processes.
- Actively participates in safety/ waste program and steadfastly adheres to policies/standards.
- Meticulously documents research results including in R&D reports.
- Ensures the proper planning, execution, and documentation of experiments.
- Operational experience in manufacturing is a plus.
- BS Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 3-5 yrs. relevant experience.
- Chemical synthesis background required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technologies (instrumentation, test methods, software, etc.)
- Up to 10% travel.
We celebrate diversity at Stepan and are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.