Design Lead - Transportation Engineer 2 (Multiple Positions)
Please note that the first resume review will take place on October 10, 2019.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking motivated and dedicated engineers with a passion for creative solutions. The Lead Designer positions will serve in a Design office located in Shoreline, Washington.
As a Lead Designer, you will apply standard engineering procedures and techniques to accomplish a wide variety of work in the office. These individuals will be part of a dynamic design office working on some of the important infrastructure projects in the Seattle metro area. The experienced lead designer directs activities and collaboratively solves problems to aid in the development of preservation and improvement projects. Lead designers have high impact to WSDOT's mission to provide and support safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to improve livable communities and economic vitality for people and businesses.
These roles will play a vital role in the delivery of the Design-Build portion of Fish Passage programs, helping to reestablish fish passage migration routes.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Responsible for all phases of the development of a transportation project; provide high-level feasibility assessments including limited design and cost estimating.
- Perform minor out of scope design work, such as right of way plan preparation, design documentation, stormwater reports, environmental documentation, PS&E's, etc.
- Research and collect preliminary documents.
- Review documents and recommend engineering solutions.
- Audit, analyze, track and make recommendations affecting the design schedule, preliminary estimate, and construction budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications for this position:
- Two years of increasing responsibilities in performing roadway design work as Transportation Technician 3, Transportation Engineer 1, or approved equivalent.
- Proficiency in MicroStation for design and estimates and preparing plans.
- Strong history of timely completion of work assignments with minimal supervision.
- Proven thoroughness and accuracy in work performance.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions and terrain types to perform field reviews.
- Strong aptitude with Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel and Outlook).
- A valid driver's license.
Desirable qualifications for this position:
- EIT (Engineer-In-Training) certification.
- Proficiency with InRoads in 2D and 3D design.
- Experience in Design-Build project delivery.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. To be considered for this position, you will need to attach a resume and cover letter to your electronic application, and answer the supplemental questions. Your cover letter should describe how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Josefina Mutascu via email to Mutascuj@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-11510.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.