Lead Designer - Transportation Engineer 2
Please note, this position is open until filled. The first resume review will take place on September 12, 2019.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking a highly qualified individual to perform the duties of Transportation Engineer 2-Lead Designer in the Mt. Vernon office. Employment within a Northwest Region Design Project Office is a great opportunity for anyone interested in gaining experience in the field of transportation system design and construction.
As the Lead Designer, the incumbent of the position will report directly to the Design Team Leader in the project office and is tasked with the delivery of plans, specifications and estimates for highway projects. The Lead Designer also directs and reviews the work of engineers and technicians, ensuring that WSDOT standards for design, CAD and documentation are followed.
This position will perform the following work:
- Prepare and/or review project definitions, design files, hydraulics reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, right of way and contract plans, specifications and estimates.
- Perform responsible project development work such as field reviews and evaluating alternate designs requiring detailed analysis of costs and impacts.
- Prepare final plan sheets for contract and right of way plans.
- Communicates and coordinates design activities with stakeholders, including but not limited to: specialty groups, construction and maintenance personnel, other designers, consultants, utility companies and property owners. Other duties as assigned.
Required experience and abilities:
- One of the following:
- Certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT) and one (1) year of design experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent
- Two years of design experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, or Transportation Technician 3 or equivalent
- Professional transportation engineering and communication skills and knowledge of engineering practices and principles.
- Ability to read and understand construction plans, provisions and standards
- Ability to understand instruction, work independently and solve problems·
- Strong history of timely completion of work assignments with minimal supervision.
- Proven thoroughness and accuracy in work performance.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions and terrain types.
- Strong aptitude with Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel and Outlook), MicroStation and InRoads.
- Ability to provide direction, mentor and supervise subordinate engineer and technicians in their preparation of plans, specifications and estimates.
- Ability to review, evaluate and correct material produced by subordinate engineers and technicians in support of project delivery.
- Valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of WSDOT procedures as they relate to design and documentation processes.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, you will need to attach following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date
- A Letter of Interest detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies