Transportation Engineer 3 - Team Leader
This position is open until filled. The first resume review will take place on September 16.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has 2 great opportunities for a motivated Engineer who has strong leadership skills and an exceptional aptitude for managing projects.
The Project Engineering Office's located in Bellingham and Mount Vernon, WA are looking for Team Leaders who will be responsible for leading staff in the design, construction and administration of multiple projects to improve State Highways and support delivery of the Fish Passage program. We are looking for a well-rounded engineer who enjoys learning and is excited about taking on new challenges. This position will initially be filling a Design Team Leader role, but will also be looking to lead construction and/or administration teams in the future.
If you are passionate about leading teams, project delivery, continuous improvement, and helping individuals develop and grow, we have an exceptional opportunity for you and encourage you to apply.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
The Team Lead will perform supervisory level civil engineering tasks and will:
- Lead and mentor a team of engineers and technicians.
- Ensure successful delivery of assigned projects and that they meet current standards and guidelines.
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget of assigned projects.
- Identify, communicate, and track project risks.
- Review and recommend engineering solutions.
- Review and/or produce technical documents (reports, design documentation, plans, specification, and estimates).
- Provide technical guidance and direction regarding WSDOT standards and procedures to staff.
- Oversee contract administration and compliance requirements.
- Prepare and review change orders and supporting documentation.
- Provide training, coaching, and performance evaluations for staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Three years of Civil Engineering or Project Management experience; or one year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent.
- Knowledgeable in interpreting contract documents, manuals, and specifications.
- Knowledge of project management and reporting practices.
- Experience with construction budget tracking systems and scheduling
- Experience leading and managing teams.
- Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Proven ability to review engineering plans and specifications for compliance with established standards.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including evening, night, weekends, and overtime as needed.
- Ability to mentor, coach and supervise staff and effectively implement development strategies.
- A valid driver's license.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field of study strongly preferred.
- Engineer in Training Certificate
- Washington Professional Engineer (PE) License in Civil Engineering or another state in the US. License holders from other states will be expected to obtain a WA state PE license within 3 months of employment
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date
- A Letter of Interest detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies