Laboratory Technician I - Sample/Receiving - Entry
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP), Division of Management Services is recruiting to hire a Laboratory Technician 1 - Sample/Receiving - Entry.
DATCP works hard to serve the people of Wisconsin assuring: safe, wholesome food; consumer protection and fair business practices; animal and plant health; a clean environment; and strong agriculture and commerce. We are located on Madison’s southeast side where our employees enjoy ample, low-cost parking at the facility. We are only minutes away from the Beltline Highway, Interstate 90 and Highway 51 for quick access to local restaurants, retail and service locations.
The Bureau of Laboratory Services (BLS) supports the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection with microbiological, food chemistry and agrichemical testing results. Testing performed at BLS helps to protect Wisconsin's food chain, environment and consumers, by providing high quality testing results which ensures quality food, water and agrichemical products.
State of Wisconsin Benefits include: 3.5 weeks of paid vacation time to start, 9 paid holidays, an ample amount of paid sick leave, a top rated benefits package, multiple insurance options and an exceptional retirement plan. For general information about State of Wisconsin benefits click HERE.
Learn more about the opportunities available working for the State of Wisconsin HERE.
For general information about positions with Wisconsin State Government click HERE.
Position Summary: Laboratory Technician I - Sample Receiving - Entry: The position takes day to day direction from the technical unit lead and functions as a sample custodian in the sample receiving area of the Bureau of Laboratory Services. Duties include: maintain lab sample/records processing systems (e.g. chain of custody, sample processing/logging, disposal, etc.); and security monitoring of the entry doors and screening visitors before allowing entry. This position requires adherence to all laboratory quality and safety standards.
For a full position description, please click HERE
* A criminal background check will be performed on the selected applicant prior to an offer of employment.
* Ability to lift packages up to 50 lbs.
*Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States (i.e., a citizen or national of the U.S., a lawful permanent resident, an alien authorized to work in the U.S. without DATCP sponsorship) at the time of application.
Minimum Qualifications (Required - Candidates must have experience and/or education relevant to these areas in order to be considered further):
1) Experience receiving and managing samples or supplies (e.g., sign for samples, unpack, inspect, document, route, dispose, etc.).
2) Office computer experience, including data entry, utilizing systems such as: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word), SharePoint, etc.
3) Experience with chain of custody activities (e.g., sample integrity, document transfer of samples, follow turn-around times, etc.).
The Most Qualified Candidates will also describe experience and/or education in the following areas:
1) Experience with LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) or other systems for data entry/extraction, etc.
2) Knowledge of laboratory operations, including basic science background (e.g., relevant science coursework, degree, direct lab experience or training, etc.) related to chemistry or microbiology.