Transportation Management Center Technician – TT3 In-Training
Please note, the salary ranges listed INCLUDE the 5% King County Premium, effective July 1, 2019.
The Northwest Region Transportation Management Center (TMC) has outstanding entry and experienced level opportunities in our new state-of-the-art facility. Candidates should have a passion for computers, real-time traffic management, and serving the public. Successful incumbents will provide daily traffic management activities in the TMC consisting of operating traffic management systems, tunnel control systems, and radio communications. The goal of these positions is to manage daily traffic, accidents, construction, and maintenance closures in the greater Seattle area, Canadian border, and Island County. Decisions made by this position directly affect the safety and traffic flow on the freeway and the adjacent arterial system.
This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Technician field, and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Technician 3. Candidates will be considered a Transportation Technician 1, Transportation Technician 2 or Transportation Technician 3, depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Technician 1: $38,376-$53,802
Transportation Technician 2: $47,568-$67,208
Transportation Technician 3: $53,904-$76,053
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
WSDOT also offers outstanding benefits, a generous amount of paid time off (True Work-Life Balance), a defined benefit pension retirement plan, advancement opportunities, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information regarding our comprehensive benefits package
This position will also perform the following work:
- Control and manage traffic flow around incident scenes
- Operate and analyze traffic flow and operational conditions
- Operate the region’s ramp meters, Variable Message Signs (VMS – electronic signs over the roadway), Highway Advisory Radio (HAR), and roadside camera systems
- Monitor and operate tunnel life safety systems including fire suppression & environmental controls on the I-90 SR 99 tunnels
- Coordinate incident management effort with radio communications to WSDOT Incident Response Teams, law enforcement and local agencies
- Operate the region's intelligent transportation systems consisting of traffic management systems, active traffic management (ATM), and tunnel control systems. These systems include devices and facilities such as ramp meters, roadside cameras, variable message signs (VMS), variable speed & lane control signs, highway advisory radio, toll systems on I-405, SR 167 and SR 520 and express lane facilities on I-5 to optimize traffic flow in a safe and efficient manner
- Other duties as assigned
At a minimum, a candidate will have the following:
- Be available to work day, night or evening shifts; available for on-call as need arises with the ability to arrive at the TMC within 1 hour
- Ability to read, comprehend, and verify contract plans and specifications including traffic control plans
- Strong understanding of computer operation; ability to rapidly multitask between multiple software applications in emergency situations
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced environment and under stressful situations
- The ability to assist in mitigating emergencies for extended times during urgent circumstances
- Ability to collect and compile data and assist in preparation of reports, exhibits, and displays
- Exceptional communication skill, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of tunnel environmental systems operations and procedures
- A valid driver’s license
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Operation of mission critical software suites, response to emergency situations, and/or previous transportation experience
- 2 years of experience working in a major metropolitan TMC
- Working knowledge of data collection, analysis, and reporting practices and principles - must be able to analyze and summarize data to create actionable reports for traffic and tolling operations
- Working knowledge of freeway management practices and principles; must be able to make operational assessment of freeway flow conditions and derive traffic management strategies on the spot
Position Schedule: These positions require the incumbent to work various shifts in the 24/7 facility including day, evening and night shifts ranging from 8 to 12 hours. These positions include shifts on weekends.
Interested candidates are encouraged to visit the TMC to learn more about our operation. To schedule a visit, contact email@example.com Candidates can also visit the TMC websites (Seattle Traffic homepage, WSDOT TMCs, Active Traffic Management, Ramp Meters, HOV, Express Lanes) for more information.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, you will need to attach following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date
- A Letter of Interest detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Josefina Mutascu at MutascJ@WSDOT.WA.GOV. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-12555e.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.