Utility Permit Specialist
We are recruiting for a utility permit specialist. In this role, you will help lead in administering the district's permit programs in all of Marion County and in parts of Clackamas, Linn, Polk, Washington and Yamhill Counties. Types of permits include road approach (access), utility and miscellaneous permits.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Correspond and coordinate with district customers, construction and utility companies, engineering firms, private parties, corporations and other public agencies in regards to permits.
- Provide needed forms and information to permit or potential permit applicants.
- Conduct field visits and find workable solutions.
- Process utility, road approaches and miscellaneous permits.
- Make recommendations on the advisability of granting permits.
- Review construction and site plans.
- Develop custom project provisions and specifications for permit requirements.
- Maintain records, files, maps, drawings and agreements.
- Inspect permitted work in progress for compliance with the terms of the permit and make final inspections for approval.
- Attend meetings and assist local planning departments with plan review and recommendations.
- Work is performed in both office and field environments.
- Daily interaction with public officials, stakeholders, contractors and members of the public.
- May encounter emotionally charged individuals or groups.
- May be required to work irregular work shifts including nights and weekends.
- May be required to walk on rough terrain and steep slopes and climb or stoop around structures.
- Frequent exposure to inclement weather and traffic and construction equipment hazards.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages. Click here to visit our full benefits website.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click HERE to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering and two years of experience directly related to engineering.
Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience
Note: If you are currently a transportation maintenance specialist 2 (TMS 2) or have been one in the past, in addition to your completed application, please attach section three of your TMS 2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. highway, sign, bridge, striping or landscape) please attach section three of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Experience as a self-starter and a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and recommendations with provided information.
- Experience related to permits and its procedures.
- Experience using verbal communications skills to provide customer service and negotiate with customers.
- Experience dealing with emotionally charged people.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on August 13, 2019.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.