This position is part of the Chemawa Indian School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Teacher (AVID) you will be responsible for serving as a classroom teacher in a BIE school on or near the Reservation. The instruction area(s) will be AVID in a high school setting.
Open & closing dates: 06/25/2019 to 07/11/2019
Pay scale & grade: CY 11
Salary: $28.55 to $57.32 per hour
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Salem, OR
As a Teacher (AVID) CY-1710-11, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Prepare yearly instructional outlines and related daily lesson plans covering relevant units of study and specifying objectives, activities and evaluative methods/instruments for both group and individual instructional programs.
- Teach students by selecting, developing, adapting and implementing appropriate instructional methods and techniques utilizing available resources to provide for academic achievement.
- Continuously evaluate individual and group academic progress through the use of criterion-referenced tests, periodic standardized tests, oral tests, and/or other relevant evaluative methods/instruments.
- Develop and conduct instruction within an environment that provides and promotes opportunities for the students to develop rapport, inter-relationships, self-discipline and a positive self-image.
- Maintain control of assigned class(es) and handle discipline independently except for chronic or extreme behavior problems.
- Supervise assigned students as scheduled, or provide for their supervision, throughout the academic day and/or activity in order to provide for the safety, health, and welfare of the students in compliance with school, Agency, and Area Guidelines.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT SUBJECT TO PROBATIONARY PERIOD OF TWO (2) ACADEMIC SEMESTERS, WHICH MAY BE EXTENDED
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- MUST BE CERTIFIED BY STATE DEPT OF EDUCATION AND TEACHER CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- VALID STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE REQUIRED
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Applicants must meet the education/qualification requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 positions. For this position, they are listed below.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR PAY LEVEL 11-17: Possess a Bachelor's Degree (or higher) from an accredited education institution. All professional educators must meet the certification standards for the position in the State where the position is located. Emergency and provisional certificates may be accepted under the conditions they are issued by the State certification authority.
For Pay Level:
11 - Bachelor's (B)
12 - B+15
13 - B+30
14 - Master's (M)
15 - M+15
16 - M+30
17 - Doctorate (earned)
BASIS OF RATING: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant's advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and veteran's preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537734400 and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
- If you are unable to apply online, you must request an alternative application which is available from the Human Resources Office. Please contact Julie Silva at firstname.lastname@example.org or (505) 563-5325 to obtain an alternative application.
To apply for this position, submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume (current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone phone number):
- Employer - must be within the past 5 years
- Personal - three (3)
2. Copy of college transcript(s) (REQUIRED)
3. Copy of valid State Teaching License (REQUIRED)
4. OF-306 Declaration of Federal Employment https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
5. Applicant Screening Questionnaire https://www.bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" if current or former Federal employee
- DD-214 (member copy 4)
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.