Junior Business Intelligence Developer
Internal Job Title: Associate Director of Product Development
External job Title: Junior Business Intelligence Developer
The Associate Director of Product Development (AD) is an early career position for a social justice minded developer, just getting started. The AD will assist in our innovation efforts to ensure that Uncommon’s Home Office, Regions and Schools have the technology solutions required to accomplish the organization’s strategic goals. The AD will develop a deep understanding of needs across all levels of the organization and implement new technology and data solutions to Uncommon’s most pressing problems. The AD of Product Development will report to the Director of Product Development.
We are looking for a candidate 1 to 3 years of work experience with 6 months to 2 years experience in one of the following: Business Intelligence, dashboard/analytics design, or SQL. The AD will work closely with other team members, outsourced senior application developers, and owners of the data sources. The AD will be responsible for providing access to the data via reports, data extracts, and analysis tools, the development of ETL components and for coding stored procedures. To be successful, the role will require the individual to understand the K-12 data landscape (e.g. assessments, SIS, standards), and have an eye for automating routine tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Product Management and Development:
- Partner with instructional, operational, regional and HO teams to develop reports and address data needs to provide reporting solutions
- Work with more senior members of project teams to synthesize and translate instructional and business data needs into creative visualizations and tools.
- Assist in development, maintenance and management of advanced reporting, analytics, dashboards and other BI solutions primarily using, but not limited to, Tableau and PowerBI
- Help refine best practices used in implementations using Tableau server
- Develop and document processes used in data flow automation and product management
- Perform and document data analysis, data validation, data mapping/design, by accessing multiple sources, specifically data residing in source systems
Approach to Work
- Exceptional strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong end-user orientation; deep concern and empathy for users and internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Excellent organization, time management, and tenacious follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Exposure to interpretation of customer business needs and translating them into application and operational requirements
- Willingness to learn both technical and soft skills (effective development of training materials, exceptional note taking, meeting prep and facilitation, data storytelling).
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools, systems and processes quickly
- Strong work ethic and commitment to high standards of excellence coupled with an enthusiastic approach to one’s work
- Strong and consistent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level competency in Excel (macros, pivot tables, etc.)
- Experience with creation and maintenance of documents, knowledge/support articles for varying level of user groups
- Working knowledge of multiple scripting/programming languages
- Exposure to BI tools (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI)
- Knowledge of SQL and data structures
Minimum educational level/experience :
- Bachelor’s Degree required and 1 to 3 years work experience including 6 months to 2 years in Business Intelligence, dashboard/analytics design, or SQL development and implementation.
- Certification, technical courses, or work experience in one or more of the following: Business Intelligence, SQL, Data Management, or similar