Tax Policy Specialist
The Tennessee Department of Revenue serves as the state’s primary tax-collecting agency, administering more than 25 separate taxes and fees. In addition to tax collection and enforcement, the Department is also responsible for administering Tennessee’s motor vehicle title and registration laws.
The department is seeking to fill a Tax Policy Specialist position housed within its Office of Tax Policy. This office serves to promote taxpayer education and the consistent administration of Tennessee’s tax laws through the development of effective public guidance and regular engagement with department stakeholders. The Tax Policy Specialist will work with the department’s various administrative divisions as well as external customers to identify opportunities for improved state tax administration.
· Authoring and disseminating timely and effective tax guidance materials
· Researching and analyzing state tax statutes, rules, and regulations
· Serving as a liaison between the department’s administrative divisions to facilitate effective solutions to complex tax issues
· Acting as a central resource to internal and external customers by providing clarification and guidance on questions of department policy or administration
· Providing analytical input as to the potential administrative impact of proposed legislation
· Ensuring the correct implementation of new laws and rules through effective guidance and tracking
· Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Accounting, Business, Economics, English, Political Science, or Law/Pre-law)
· Relevant experience (2 + years preferred) in state and local tax and/or public administration
· Strong communication skills as evidenced by proficient writing and presentation abilities, as well as the ability to work effectively in a team environment
· Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
All interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Rachel Clark at Rachel.M.Clark@tn.gov
Deadline to Apply: June 21, 2019