Global Agroforestry Associate
We are seeking a professional with significant technical agroforestry knowledge and with a demonstrated track-record of implementation in smallholder agroforestry knowledgeable.
This role will serve as the agroforestry technical touch-point for a wide-range of stakeholders, completing discrete technical projects and addressing needs as they arise. This person will also be attached to the Kenya and Tanzania teams for one year each in order to design and implement strategic projects that will enable the teams to realize their agroforestry visions and drive organizational learning.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a technical touch-point for all country agroforestry teams
- Spend one year attached to the Kenya and Tanzania teams respectively
- Manage a suite of agroforestry trials with a goal to: diversify product offerings and species; improve program sustainability through increased efficiency and income generation; and improve training, marketing, and services
- Heavy focus on execution and driving to results.
- Contribute to program strategies and prioritize project pipelines. Projects are currently being developed by both teams, but some likely examples include:
- Develop Business Plans for agroforestry products
- Lay out road map towards break-even or profitability for agroforestry products
- Oversee risk modeling, cost-benefit analyses, and projections for both countries
- Develop new product designs, including: inputs, training, and marketing
- Secure strong input pipelines for products
- Lead the effort to secure consistent supply of improved seed
- Select appropriate kit configurations, and liaise with suppliers to select optimal non-seed inputs
- Oversee species diversification efforts
- Select additional species to trial in each operational Agro-ecological zone
- Liaise closely with technical partners for input, fact-checking and holistic sector perspective
- Oversee performance trials for those species
- Create and implement focus group discussions and surveys to understand farmer response to proposed products and price elasticity
- Develop marketing and training for differentiated products
- Spearhead the development of a catalog of differentiated tree products
- Run Human Centered Design methodology to understand farmer perspectives
- Conduct market overviews to gauge current and potential opportunities
- Liaise with potential partner organizations to secure strong input supply pipelines, including for live-seedling distributions
- Develop trainings and marketing for products with different value propositions
- Develop Land Optimization messaging
- Work with all internal departments to ope rationalize product offer and distribution
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking one exceptional professional with at least 3-5 years work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience, e.g. starting a field program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business, solid Volunteer Service Organization accomplishments (VSO, Peace Corps, JICA, etc).
- Field experience working in smallholder farmer agroforestry
- A track-record of collaborating with, and communicating effectively to, a wide range of stakeholders
- A track-record of implementation, taking projects from strategic to operational within a relatively short amount of time
- Strong educational background; Masters in Agroforestry or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work, enthusiasm for learning, and openness to feedback.
- Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Language: English required in all locations. Swahili especially helpful in Tanzania.
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Kakamega ( 1 Year) , Iringa ( 1 year)
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes. Kenya or Tanzania country nationals / East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply..
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.