Entry-Level Newborn Screening Medical Laboratory Technologist
Note: Interested applicants must apply at the external link provided to be considered.
The Newborn Screening Unit of the NC State Laboratory of Public Health is currently accepting applications for a Medical Laboratory Technologist I. The primary purpose of the Newborn Screening Unit is to perform testing on all newborns born in NC to detect life-threatening disorders using dried blood spot specimens.
THIS POSITION WILL:
- Perform testing on all newborns to detect disorders such as Sickle Cell (SC), Cystic Fibrosis (CF), Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH), Congenital Hypothyroidism (CH), Galactosemia (GAL), and Biotinidase deficiency using dried blood spot specimens derived from a heelstick or whole blood.
- Perform Isoelectric Focusing (IEF) electrophoresis and cation-exchange High Performance Liquid Chromatography for SC, fluoroimmunoassays (FIA) for CAH, CF & CH and enzyme-linked immunoassays (EIA) for GAL & biotinidase deficiency.
- Use semi- and automated instrumentation, pipetting, and extensive use of computers and computer-driven instrumentation.
- Perform hands-on maintenance, repairs, and trouble-shooting of instrumentation.
- Work with automatic blood spot punches, extensive data interpretation and application of comprehensive quality assurance protocols and activities.
- Evaluate, validate, and implement new methodologies to detect and characterize disorders that require early intervention to improve patient outcomes and will assist the General Supervisor and the Unit Manager in developing, maintaining, and updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) utilized.
Questions? Call 919-707-5450.
Work Location: 4312 District Drive Raleigh NC 27607
Education: Bachelor's degree in medical technology, chemistry, or a biological science from an appropriately accredited institution.