Entry-Level Microbiology Medical Lab Technician
How to apply: You must submit an application at the provided external link in order to be considered.
Questions? Call our HR office at 919-707-5450.
The Microbiology Unit of the NC State Laboratory of Public Health is currently accepting applications for a Scientific Services Medical Laboratory Technician. Scientific Services supports the laboratories in SLPH by preparing media and reagents, as well as providing quality control services. Scientific Services staff also clean glassware and handle biohazard decontamination.
The Medical Laboratory Technician is responsible for the following:
- Preparing requested media within acceptable turn-around times for various laboratory areas while following EPA, FDA, and CLIA guidelines
- Troubleshooting any issues during the media preparation process
- Using laboratory equipment such as but not limited to balances, pH meters, plate pourers, TubeWriter, labeling printers, pipettes, and Chemical Fume hood
- Working with chemicals that are potentially hazardous
- Helping with the decontamination of bio-hazard waste and cleaning and washing glassware as needed
- Performing general maintenance and troubleshooting on equipment
- Answering phone calls and emails regarding media requests in a timely and professional manner
- Attention to detail is required when preparing media.
- Ability to make decisions and change schedules as needed when outbreak or emergency situations occur
- Ability to calculate formulas for mathematical alterations in volumes of preparation.
- Ability to perform aseptic technique
- Knowledge of the operation of laboratory equipment used in the preparation and sterilization of media
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology.