Accountant - Compliance Tester
The Compliance Tester assists with defining testing strategies and executing and documenting testing of key financial and operational controls and works with management to ensure that non-compliance issues are remediated. Work performed is of a complex nature.
Education: Bachelor's degree and Graduation from an accredited 4-year college or university in the area of Accounting, Finance or closely related field of study required.
License: Valid LA Driver's License
Years Relevant Work Experience: 2 years related accounting experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. 10 or more years related experience, preferred.
Other Job Specifications:
- Understanding of internal controls and testing of controls. Experience with Sarbanes Oxley testing is a plus.
- Knowledge of data processing systems and journal entry preparation
- Understanding of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and/or Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Skill in the use of a computer, 10-key calculator
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Team-oriented with a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Solid analytical skills with a thoughtful and open-minded approach to problem solving
- Proficient in MS Office, Word, Excel, etc.
- Highly motivated with the ability to multi-task and remain organized in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion with sensitive or confidential issues and/or personal matters.
- Ability to use modern office methods, techniques, and equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to quickly learn BREC policies and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Assists with identifying and documenting key controls and testing strategies
- Executes and documents defined tests
- Examines internal records; such as cash count logs, deposit tickets, cash journals, financial system permissions and logs, payroll records, personnel files, etc.; and external records; such as bank statements, invoices, W-9s, etc.; to verify accuracy, proper execution of required controls, and comparison of data provided in financial statements
- Conducts field examinations to determine compliance with policies and procedures as well as federal and state laws
- Assist with formulating corrective action plans to address identified opportunities for improvement related to unit(s) reviewed
- Conducts regular inventory counts and reports variances to management for remediation
- Attends meetings with management to obtain information, resolve discrepancies and report findings
- Participate in group discussions to develop, revise and/or modify processes including to determine root cause analysis and identify opportunities for improvement
- Communicates test results to management
- Works with management to identify and track remediation strategies for non-compliance
- Secondary Job Duties
- Prepares reports as needed
- Other duties as assigned