- Under direct supervision, conduct audits of Business Personal Property tax returns to ensure compliance with State and Federal laws.
- Review, examine and process business personal property tax returns.
- Verify information for accuracy and create accounts in various computer systems, batches and make online corrections prior to processing.
- Analyze and interpret data provided to determine compliance with State and Federal laws.
- Communicate effectively with taxpayers and/or representatives by phone, email or other written correspondence to request and additional needed and/or required information.
- Utilize various internal computer systems, internet resources (various state agency websites, county websites, code of laws, etc.) to research and verify changes to business personal property tax returns and supplemental documentation.
- Consult with other tax sections in DOR, county officials and property tax field analysts to resolve basic business personal property tax issues.
- At this level, the incumbent is considered to be in a trainee status focusing on learning the following:
- Relevant tax laws and applications
- Navigating various computer systems
- Understanding the direct correlation between county and state processes
- Conducting basic review of business personal property tax returns
- The incumbent relies on the supervisor and senior examiners to gain a strong foundation in processing of business personal property tax returns.
Apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/jobs/2313178/property-examiner-a
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- An associate's degree from an accredited college or university and experience in a business or tax related area; or
- A bachelor's degree with multiple accounting courses may be substituted for the work experience.
Academic degrees must be from an accredited institution of higher learning.
College transcripts are required. The transcripts may be attached to the application, faxed to 803-896-0023, or emailed to Employment.SCDOR@dor.sc.gov.
- Working knowledge of accounting and audit principles and practices.
- Basic knowledge of SC Tax Laws, forms, and online computer systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- SCDOR employees are required to comply with all SCDOR tax requirements and are subject to a National Criminal Background Check to include fingerprinting.
- It is the policy of the Department of Revenue to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to, lactation.