Foodborne Outbreaks Medical Lab Specialist
The Molecular Diagnostic / Epidemiology workgroup of the NC State Laboratory of Public Health is currently accepting applications for a Molecular Epidemiology Specialist. This position is part of the Molecular Diagnostic / Epidemiology laboratory that is responsible for performing a variety of highly complex molecular-based laboratory tests to identify and characterize bacteriologic and viral agents of public health significance. The primary purpose of this position is to provide direct laboratory testing and support for the initial and ongoing stages of the CDC Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity grant for Food Safety focusing on the use of Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) to aid in investigations of foodborne outbreaks.
THIS POSITION WILL:
• Perform whole genome sequencing and analysis follow CDC PulseNet guidelines
• Perform pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and analysis follow CDC PulseNet guidelines
• Participate in competency assessment and proficiency testing
• Perform equipment maintenance and troubleshooting
• Maintain and track inventory
• Monitors quality control measurements, records and evaluates data as measures of performance
• Work closely and state epidemiologist and CDC in foodborne disease surveillance and outbreak investigations
• Attend meetings and training related to CDC PulseNet activities and molecular testing
Education Requirements: Bachelor's degree in medical technology, biology, microbiology, chemistry or a closely related biological science field.
Job Location: 4312 District Drive Raleigh NC 27607
Questions? Please call our HR office at 919-707-5450.