Highway Maintenance Specialist (ODOT18-2178oc)
Highway Maintenance Specialist - Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2
Highway Division – Hunter Creek Maintenance Crew
Work Location: 28294 Hunter Creek Rd, Gold Beach OR 97444
ODOT is recruiting for a full-time, permanent, highway maintenance specialist for our Hunter Creek Maintenance Crew! In this role, you will function as a member of a maintenance crew performing manual labor and equipment operation to maintain, repair and/or reconstruct roadway/highway, freeway, bridges, signs and/or rest areas facilities.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
What's in it for you?
- We value work/life balance at ODOT. With 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, and competitive benefits packages – our time out of the office is just as important as time spent in the office.
- What makes the Gold Beach a great place to live or work? Click here to find out!
- Representation: This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform surface repair, build or repair roadway shoulders and bike paths.
- Maintain vegetation areas, mow grass, spray pesticides and herbicides, and dispose of roadside debris.
- Dig and clean ditches, catch basins and drainage systems.
- Repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Plow snow, sand and deice roadways.
- Maintain rest areas and perform minor building maintenance.
- Install and/or maintain irrigation systems.
- Sweep highway/roadway and perform clean-up of sidewalks, graffiti, paving, bridge walks, and islands.
- Repair or replace guardrails, barriers, fences, glare screens, roadway delineators or milepost markers.
- Replace or maintain highway/roadway, signs, striping and/or legends.
- Service and repair equipment and tools.
- Respond and coordinate accidents and other emergencies, provide traffic control and coordinate with other agencies to ensure safety and assist with clean up.
- Read and interpret plans and layouts for projects.
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape AND Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment,; AND
- Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license, an acceptable driving record and the ability to drive are required for this position.
- The employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver's license A (CDL-A) OR have the ability to obtain a CDL-A within six months of hire (ODOT will provide training and cover cost) to be considered eligible for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
- Though not required at time of hire, the successful candidate will be required to obtain an herbicide spray applicator license within six (6) months of hire.
- This position has a maximum response time of 30 minutes to the reporting location of 28294 Hunter Creek Rd, Gold Beach, OR 97444.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience communicating effectively with internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Experience developing positive and collaborative relationships with peers, coworkers and customers.
- Experience working with a diverse group of people to complete tasks and achieve common organizational goals.
- Well-developed safety awareness.
- Operate on or near heavy equipment and power tools.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers and hazardous waste materials.
- Manual labor is required. Must walk, stand, bend and stoop for extended periods of time and lift up to 60 pounds.
- Must be able to work safely with power and hand tools and be able to operate government vehicles/equipment.
- Employees are to be available at any time for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
Learn More and Apply!
- This recruitment closes Monday, December 17, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
- Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-378-5799.
- ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.